Did you know we are on the National Register of Historic Places?
The original ticket window from the early 1900's. People still pick up their tickets here!
We tore down any changes not original to the Opera House.
During the beginning stages of restoration, Judy had second thoughts! Luckily she pushed through to give us what we have today.
Originally built as a lumber mill by Penrose Wolf, a native of Rockwood, the Opera House was refashioned from lumber mill to performance venue in 1904. During the earliest parts of the century the stage hosted names like "Maise Ward Minstrels" a performance of Rip Van Winkle by "J.L. O'Toole & Co" and even "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was performed as a play.
During that time The Rockwood Opera House welcomed New York Concert Company as well as several other musicians were featured sporadically along with theatrical plays.
Until the dawn of Nickelodeons, the precursor to movies, the Opera House brought joy to the residents of Rockwood, PA and accomplished exactly what Penrose Wolf envisioned; the Opera House brought glimpses of a larger world to people who wouldn't have experienced it without his generosity.
Though no one is certain the exact date the slow death of the Opera House actually forced it to close doors, but the estimate is that shortly after the death of Penrose in 1921, the stage was empty.
It seemed likely to stay empty forever, forgotten to time and a victim of an ever increasing technological world until the turn of a new century when a lover of history and purist began restoring the Rockwood Opera House to its former glory. When the doors opened again for the first time in 2000, Seldom Seen Players performed on the formerly empty stage.
Since that time, the Opera House stage continued an adaptation of Penrose Wolf's vision. The Opera House now brings glimpses of an authentic and unadulterated history to people who appreciate a night without technology.